Temples & Convents
The Catholic Church accompanied, from the beginning of the conquest, the Spanish forces. To kick off their evangelizing, about the most important and spectacular Inca palaces and temples, built their churches priestly orders of the time. On the other hand, had to be built to house the clergy convents. These buildings, 10 special construction details are worth appreciating.
The Basilica Cathedral of Cusco
It is the most important monument, an imposing and magnificent colonial architecture, being custodian of multiple art forms, which was built in the Sunturwasi and KISQARCANCHA of the Incas, was built with the masses of the walls of Sacsayhuaman. The first enclosure for religious services was built in what is now the Triunfo Church on one side of the Cathedral Basilica.
Compañia de Jesus Church
This church is one of the outstanding monuments of Baroque Andean erected on the Amaru kancha, the panaca palace of Inca Huayna Capac. Its location and opulence, which obscured the primacy of the Cathedral, led to serious disputes between the Jesuits and the clergy Cusco.
San Francisco de Asís Church
The structure of the convent and church of San Francisco stand by the national association of science, and was placed at the service of the order in 1652. Here is possibly the largest canvas of the continent. It was founded by the Franciscan Fathers in 1645 and has two fronts and a single tower. This church has a Spanish-style stone house. The work was completed in 1650.
Santo Domingo Church
Built on one of the holiest sites in pre-Columbian times, was called at the time of the Incas "Inti Court" was the main temple of the Quechua in Cusco Valley, was at first dedicated to the deities linked to agricultural rites. Inside you could see the remains of Qorikancha.
Santa Catalina Church and Convent
This church stands on what was the House of the Chosen or Virgins of the Sun, also called Acllawasi. In Inca times it occupied the entire block bounded by the Plaza de Armas, Calle Loreto, Loreto Street K'aspi k'ijllu today and Maruri Street. Founded in 1605, the church and monastery had to be rebuilt after the earthquake of 1650. The church treasures beautiful Baroque altars and a magnificent pulpit.
San Blas Church
The church of San Blas was built on the Inca neighborhood "Tococachi" just about a place of worship "Illapa". This church is known for its pulpit that according to many experts is the most striking artistic woodwork Churrigueresque Spanish.
San Cristóbal Church
Built on what was once the palace of Manco Capac. Its construction began in 1673 and was a parish intended to Indians or natural. It is a temple of one tower, whose architecture is almost equal to that of the Church of Santa Clara, the tower of the church is of stone, but the church itself is made of adobe.