Machu Picchu mountain is one of the best travel options for all those who love adventure and trekking. Despite being longer in distance and higher at its summit, it is much easier to do than the other mountain "Huayna Picchu".
"Machu Picchu mountain" is located in front of Huayna Picchu mountain at 3061 meters above sea level. To climb "Machu Picchu Mountain", you will have to arrive at the citadel of Machu Picchu, go to the entrance control post through the Circuit Nº 1 (the most complete circuit) that leads directly to the entrance control to the "Machu Picchu Mountain". The road is ascending but not very steep or narrow, which makes "Machu Picchu Mountain" more accessible to the general public. To reach the summit it is necessary to walk 2 kilometers approximately, which will take you 3 and a half to 4 hours depending on your physical condition and walking experience.
Machu Picchu mountain is located at 3061 meters above sea level. This mountain offers visitors one of the best panoramic views of the citadel of Machu Picchu and the Vilcanota River or "Wilcamayu" that despite the distance, you can hear how its waters break on the rocks. The path to the Machu Picchu mountain is ascending through steps made of stone and well established paths, the hike is not very dangerous or difficult to perform, but it will require all your strength. During the hike you can see how the citadel of Machu Picchu and the "Huayna Picchu" is getting lower and lower, you can also contemplate the lush vegetation, which highlights the famous orchids (there are more than 425 species of orchids in Machu Picchu). The amazing view from the top of this mountain and its colorful trail, make it the perfect choice for those adventurers and nature lovers, it is also the best alternative if you can not climb the other mountain "Huayna Picchu" either for lack of availability of space or physical difficulties.
The Machu Picchu mountain must have been a path widely used by the Incas, especially for military purposes since it has a 360 degree view of the entire valley, which allows to issue an early warning of any threat of invasion of another neighboring culture. Due to its location, it could also have been used for astronomical purposes, for the study of the cosmos. It is currently an important travel alternative within the archaeological park of Machu Picchu and receives hundreds of visitors a day. The Machu Picchu mountain is easier to access than the "Huayna Picchu" mountain, the trail is wider and 400 spaces are offered per day in 2 shifts available. From 7 am to 8 am (200 spaces) and from 9 am to 10 am (200 spaces).
The maximum capacity for Machu Picchu mountain is 400 people per day, divided into two groups of 200 people each. We recommend you to book in advance, at least 1 month before.
The entrance schedules for "Machu Picchu" mountain in 2019 are:
- First group : Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu mountain 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.
- Second group : Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu mountain 09:00 - 10:00 a.m *Source: Ministry of Culture web portal.
RATES "MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN" 2019
||Tourists Andean Community
(Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador)
|Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN
- The entrance ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain allows you to visit the citadel of Machu Picchu by one of the three established circuits, as well as access to the alternate route of Machu Picchu Mountain in the schedule printed at the top of your ticket.
- Admission for the first shift (200 visitors) is between 7:00 and 8:00 am, while admission for the second shift (200 visitors) is between 9:00 and 10:00 am.
- The tour starts at the entrance control to the llaqta (citadel) through circuit Nº 1 that leads directly to the entrance control to Machu Picchu Mountain. The visitor must carry his ticket, identity card and register manually in the registration notebook both at the entrance and at the exit.
- The top of Machu Picchu Mountain is located at (3061 masl) from where you get an impressive view of the citadel of Machu Picchu and the Vilcanota River that surrounds it. The travel time of this alternate route is approximately four hours, it may vary depending on the pace of walking that you have.
- The total time of stay for the tour of the alternate route and one of the circuits of the "llaqta" (citadel) of Machu Picchu is six hours. A re-entry is allowed in order to use the restrooms that are only outside the archaeological complex.
- Do not carry luggage, just a small backpack with what you need.
- Don't forget to bring water, cereals, chocolate and if you suffer from altitude sickness, coca leaf, it will give you strength to continue.
- Use waterproof and non-slip hiking shoes.
- Wear waterproof clothing and preferably cover your arms and legs, as the radiation is very strong.
- Wear sunglasses
- Use repellent
- Use sunscreen, preferably factor 90+.
- Take well charged cameras with extra memory, you will have a lot to photograph.
- Generally there are no guided tours to Machu Picchu mountain, follow all the indications, respect all the signs along the way and try to walk in a group.
- If you suffer from vertigo or any cardiac or respiratory disease, we recommend you not to visit "Machu Picchu mountain".
The "Machu Picchu Mountain" is not a very steep trail, it is entertaining, but you will need all your energy. We will share with you this video on how to travel to Machu Picchu Mountain:
VIDEO ASCENT TO MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN
We have a fantastic tour for you, just click on the image below