South of the city of Cusco, on the way to the altiplano, there is this valley of impressive landscapes and memorable archaeological centers. Along the Vilcanota River, the South Valley of Cusco awaits you with picturesque villages and a nature of warm beauty.
This valley is located southeast of the city of Cusco, on the current route to the altiplano of Collao (Puno).
Between the months of April to October, the temperature drops considerably at night, in the early hours of the morning the temperature rises gradually until after midday.
According to the latest report of the Instituto Nacional de Estadistica e Informática (INEI), the population of Arequipa is as follows:
These are some suggestions of what you can do in the South Valley of Cusco.
- Visit the archaeological center of Tipon, and appreciate the Inca irrigation system.
- Admire constructions of more than one floor made with small stones in the archaeological park of Quiquillacta.
- Enjoy the gastronomy of the South Valley, delight yourself with the pork rinds of Saylla.
- Buy breads of exquisite flavor in the district of Oropesa.
- Visit Andahuaylillas, here you will find the so-called Sistine Chapel of America, which houses paintings of the Cusco school.