Vilcabamba Trek to Machu Picchu 5 Days
- Full Itinerary
- Tour Map
After the conquest by the Spaniards, Manco Inca and his successors dominated the Vilcabamba region. It included several centers and settlements built in honor of the last dynasty of the Incas: Manco Inca, Sayri Tupac, Titu Cusi Yupanqui and Tupac Amaru I. According to the customs and traditions of other pre-Inca cultures, a neo-imperial state was created to preserve all knowledge in religion and astronomy. Vilcabamba is located northwest of Cusco, in the province of La Convención, in the eastern cordillera of the Andes.
This tour to the ruins of Machu Picchu beginning with Vilcabamba has a chain of snow-capped peaks and high jungle mountains with constant climatic changes. The region is bounded by two very deep canyons, the Apurímac Canyon on the left and the Willcamayu Canyon on the right. The running of the rivers still cultivates one of the most beautiful and spectacular landscapes of fast current.
Departures: Every day, all the year
Information: Altitud: 1850 - 4500 m/14764f .
High Season: May – November
Level of difficulty: Medium.
DAY 1: CUSCO - OLLANTAYTAMBO - ABRA MÁLAGA - CHAULLAY - VILCABAMBA (HUANCACALLE):
Our trip starts early in the morning by bus. First, we will go to the northwestern opening of Cusco and pass the ancestral villages of Chinchero (3760m / 12336f) and Ollantaytambo (2850m / 9350f), located in one of the most fertile regions to grow corn. Then, the road will take us to the highest point of the trip: the Malaga Pass (4315m / 14157f). During the descent through the Amaybamba Valley we will enjoy the exceptional view of snowy peaks and cloud forests. Then we will pass Chaullay (1200m / 3937f) and we will go to Huancacalle (3000m / 9843f). Here we will spend the night in an indoor hotel.Transport duration: 7 hours.
DAY 2: VILCABAMBA (HUANCACALLE) - VITCOS ROSASPATA - ABRA PUMACHACA - ABRA AZUTINA - INKA WASI - RACACHACA:
On this day we will visit the archaeological sites of Vitcos Rosaspata (3080m / 10105f) Ñustahispana (3050m / 10007f). In addition, our hike leads through beautiful vegetation through the mountain pass of Azutina (3900m / 12795f) Pumachaca (4000m / 13123f). Our camp will be in the community of Racachaca (3700m / 12139f).Climate: Temperate, cold weather.
Walking time: 8 Hours.
DAY 3: RACACHACA. - HATÚN PAMPA - MOJON - LACCOCOCHA:
During this day some curious Andeans will welcome us cordially, tell us about their customs and traditions. Later we will cross three abras (high points) known as Yanacocha (4420m / 14501f), Tullu Tacana (4500m / 14436f) and Mojon (4500m / 14763f), where an exceptional view of the snowy peaks of Salkantay (6264m / 20551f) could be obtained. . After lunch we will descend to Laccococha (3600m / 11811f), the place where we will spend the night in a camp.Weather: Cold
Highking Time: 7 Hours.
DAY 4: LACCOCOCHA - MUTUY PATA - YANATILE - HIDROELÉCTRICA STATION - AGUAS CALIENTES:
Our day will start early in the morning with a good breakfast and an exceptional view of the mountains. While passing the forest of Mutuypata (3250m / 10663f) we can enjoy a rich flora of the region (variety of orchids and other beautiful plants, we will also see coffee and fruit plantations). In the small town of Yanatile (2000m / 6562f) we will take a transport and go to the Hidroelectrica Station, where we will take the train to Aguas Calientes. There we will have accommodation in a hotel.Climate: Cold and warm with mosquitoes.
Highking Time: 7 Hours.
DAY 5: AGUAS CALIENTES - MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO:
We will leave our hotel after breakfast at 5:30 a.m. and we will go to Machu Picchu (2400m / 7874f) by tourist bus. We're going to get to the citadel around 6:00 in the morning. After a guided tour of the archaeological zone, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu (2750m / 9022f) on your own. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train, either at 2:55 p.m. or 6:45 p.m. Until then you will have time to have lunch in one of the restaurants. You can also take a relaxing bath in the hot springs in Aguas Calientes, ending this Machu Picchu ruins tour- Vilcabamba.Climate: Moderately warm.
Hiking time: 2 hours.
- Private transportation from the hotel to Huancacalle.
- Transportation from Yanatile to Santa Teresa.
- Transportation from Santa Teresa to Hidroelectrica Station. Tourist train from the Hidroelectrica Station to Aguas Calientes.
- Bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (2 ways).
- Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco or tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and to Cusco by bus.
- Hostal in Huancacalle Aguas Calientes town (Machu Picchu, Continental or similar).
- Entrance to Machu Picchu
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English).
- High quality camping equipment (we use professional tents, Doite, Model Kailas 3, light / 4.5kgs extra and Doite, Himalaya Model, light / additional 4.5kgs, both for 2 people) Mattresses, dining tent with table and chairs, tent of hygienic service).
- Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks vegetarian option).
- Cook and assistant. Muleteers and mules, throughout our camp passenger personal equipment (up to 9 kg)
- Emergency horse.
- First aid kit and oxygen balloon.
- Breakfast on the first day.
- Lunch on the last day in Aguas Calientes.
- Sleeping bag (If you do not have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of renting one from us).
- Backpack with rain coat.
- Sleeping bag. Warm and cold weather clothing like a waterproof jacket.
- Rain pants light pants. Trekking shoes
- Slippers or sandals (for showers and thermal baths).
- Wool or synthetic socks and a sweater. T-shirts with short and long sleeves.
- Rain poncho and a hat. Bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes).
- Sunscreen, insect repellent, alcoholic disinfectant gel, water bottle and sterilization tablets, toiletries and toilet paper.
- Camera (wrapped in plastic bag).
- Flashlight and batteries.
- Some snacks such as chocolate bars and nuts.
- Original passport and the ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
- Since the weather can be very cold and humid, your clothes - once wet - will not dry out at night. So bring some clothes to change.
HOW MUCH DOES THE TOUR COST?
We have several options to suit your needs. The price is per person.
Ask for our season and last minute booking special offers.
If the hotel you wish for is not in our list; ask for an estimate and we will give you an answer right away.
Mobile - WhatsApp: +51 984 709080.
Mobile - WhatsApp: +51 984 680809.
Office: +51 84 263646.
We are committed to give you an experience in Peru you´ll never forget. Offer you the best quality and the best price; but what about if our clients say for us? (Read comments in CuscoPeru.com.)
HOW TO BOOK?
To begin the process of booking we need you to send us the following information:
- Full Name:
- Number of Passport:
- Date of birth:
- Phone Number:
- It is very important in your flight information: (The name of the airline you are going to arrive in Cusco, your flight number, arrival Date and Time)
To confirm reservations it is required a 50% of the payment in advance.
We have 4 options for you to make the deposit.
- You can make the payment by VISA or MASTERCARD credit card through our system www.cuscoperu.com/payment this system gains 5% additional (SSL secure system and transfer charges of the foreign bank).
- You can make the payment through Western Unión to our legal representative: FANNY CHOQQUE YEPEZ - DNI: 76474604 - City: Cusco Perú. You must send us the MTCN code of your deposit
- You can also make a deposit to the account of our company in the BBVA Banco Continental Current account: Account code. Interbancario: (CCI) 011 201 000100028495 18 - CUSCOPERU.COM E-COMMERCE SRL - SWIFT CODE: BCONPEPL - must add U$60.00 which is the charge made by our bank to our account by international transfer and administrative expenses, you should also consult your bank about the additional amount you will be charged.
- Finally with VISA - MASTERCARD credit card with PAYPAL generating the payment order we would send you CuscoPeru.com e-commerce If you accept this option you will have a surcharge of 7% .
¡We are here to serve you!
- Full Itinerary
- Tour Map