Day 1 Cusco - Cancha Cancha
We leave Cusco at 7.00am in a private transport and drive for 2h towards Huar?n, the starting point of our trek. On this first day, we walk for approximately 5h following an uphill path that starts in a valley with lush vegetation and that will take us to our first campsite in Cancha Cancha, a small farming community in the middle of spectacular mountain scenery. We will stop for lunch along the way.
Once we get to Cancha Cancha, we set our camp and get to know the local people and their way of living.
Day 2 Cancha Cancha - Queu?aqocha Lagoon
We leave our camp after breakfast to start walking along an ascending path that will lead us to the first mountain pass of the trek, the Abra Pachacutec (4400m/14432ft/3h), from which we can enjoy awesome views of glacier lagoons and the surrounding valleys. Along the hike, we may also have spectacular views of the snow-capped mountains in the area, such as Colquecruz, Minas and Sirijuani. We will have lunch after the pass, to then descend to Quiswarani, a small peasant and textile community, from where we continue following an uphill path until we reach the beautiful lagoon of Queu?aqocha, where we set up our second camp.
Day 3 Queu?aqocha Lagoon - Lares and Aguas Calientes
Today we continue our hike towards the second mountain pass, the Abra Willkiccasa (4100m/13448ft/2h), offering impressive views of both sides of the pass, especially of the Colquecruz and Pitusiray mountains. The trail continues along changing puna, lakes and agricultural areas with roaming deer until we arrive in Cuncani 3h later, another small peasant community from where we follow our hike down a fertile valley with more vegetation, crops and agricultural communities. Along the trail we may see native flowers such as begonias and wild orchids. After an approximated 2h walk we arrive in Lares, capital of the district with the same name, a large village whose principal attraction are its pleasant hot springs, where we can enjoy a dip. After lunch, our private transport will drive us to Ollantaytambo, where we board an afternoon train that will take us to Aguas Calientes. Upon arrival, we are accommodated at the selected hotel/hostel.
Day 4 MachuPicchu - Cusco
After an early breakfast, we board a bus to go up to MachuPicchu and then immediately begin a complete guided tour of the Inca citadel that will take approximately two hours. We then have free time to walk around, climb the Huaynapicchu Mountain, where one can appreciate spectacular views of all of MachuPicchu, the valleys and mountains that surround it (please note that there are only 400 visitors allowed per day), or visit the Temple of the Moon or the fabulous Inca Bridge. In the afternoon, we meet in the town of Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit and relax in its hot springs. From here we take the train back to the city of Cusco, where we arrive after nightfall.
* Departure and arrival times are approximated.
** Campsites are subject to change according to our guide?s criteria and the group progress
- Pre-departure briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer in private transport to Huar?n, starting point of the trek
- Professional tour guide (spanish and english)
- Chef and cooking equipment
- Pack animals (to carry tents, food and cooking equipment)
- 1 emergency horse
- Meals (02B, 03L, 02D ). Vegetarian menu is available at no extra cost
- Lares hot springs entrance fee
- First-aid kit
- Private transport from Lares to Ollantaytambo
- RT Expedition train ticket Ollantaytambo ? Aguas Calientes ? Ollantaytambo
- 1D MachuPicchu entrance fee
- RT bus ticket Aguas Calientes ? Cusco ? Aguas Calientes
- Private transportation Ollantaytambo ? Cusco including transfer to your hotel if returning on day 4
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes or MachuPicchu
- Breakfast on the first day
- Dinner on the third day
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner on the last day
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes
- IGV Tax
- Other services not mentioned in the program