Located next the main square, in the historic center of the city of Lima.
The cathedral’s façade has renaissance style with silver ornaments. Its tall towers with slate spires are neoclassic with styled influences from north Europe. It has three doors as most cathedrals. The main one (central one) is called principal door, the right one is called baptistery door and the left one is called forgiveness door. There are other two side doors one of them faces the left street which is called Jewish St. and the other door faces the Orange trees patio (internal patio of the cathedral). In the posterior part of the temple ( Saint Apolonia Street) there are 2 other gates: Santa Apolonia and Saint Cristobal.
The cathedral has 3 naves and two additional naves that open the side chapels. In the side naves you can see paintings of via crusis. 12 paintings regarding the 12 apostles and the 12 faith articles have recently been put./p>
Nuestra señora de la Esperanza chapel:
In the left nave we can see, in the first chapel, the old baptistery with its baptismal font. A beautiful image of Nuestra Señora de la Esperanza (Painful virgin) is kept there, it is a sculpture that belongs to the processional group of Easter in this city and that goes traditionally first in the Lenten worship and Easter. They could describe the old polychromic characteristics during the restoration and it is now displayed for visitors.
It belonged to San Marcos University. Students used to graduate here. A virgin with the same name is in the central part of the altar (mid 16th century) that is patron of the University since 1627, two wooden statues highlight, San Marcos and Santo Tomás de Aquino.
Peruvian saints chapel:
The next chapel is for the Peruvian Saints, Santa Rosa de Lima is the main one, who was the first saint of America with San Martin de Porras, San Juan Masías, y San Francisco Solano, all of them Peruvian saints.
It was originally dedicated for Santa Rosa right after her canonization and it was initially in the disappeared Belen church where the tomb of Mons. Emilio Lissón (27th archbishop of Lima) who is in process of beatification.
Inmaculada Conception church:
It is dedicated to Nuestra señora de la Evangelización. It is one of the few churches that conserve its baroque original altar because others have neoclassic altars after the reformations made by Presbyter Matías Mestro and the restoration in 1890.
Francisco Pizarro's crypt:
This crypt is covered completely with tiles referring the conquer. Lima's shield can be seen on one of the walls. In the sarcophagus is seen that the head is separated from the body, possibly released by multiple manipulations to which the remains were exposed.
Saint John Evangelist chapel:
Formerly St. Anne Chapel On the left wall is the tomb of the old Nicolas de Ribera, first mayor of Lima. Its altarpiece is one of the most beautiful in this temple, his style is Baroque-Neoclassical transition.
Monday - Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Adults: S/. 10.00 | Children: S/. 2.00
Note: Guiding service is optional (different language spoken)