
Lima’s Plaza de Armas, also known as Plaza Mayor, is the founding center of the Peruvian capital and one of the country’s most important historic spaces. It is surrounded by buildings associated with political, religious, and municipal power, including the Government Palace, Lima Cathedral, the Archbishop’s Palace, and the Municipal Palace.
The plaza forms part of the Historic Center of Lima, which was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988. In 1991, the boundaries of the protected area were expanded to include a larger section of the historic center.

The Plaza de Armas is the main public space in Lima’s historic center. It was laid out as the political and urban center of the city founded by the Spanish on January 18, 1535, then known as the City of Kings and today as Lima.
From its earliest years, the city’s main institutions were established around the plaza: the governor’s residence, the city council, and the main church. This organization followed the Spanish grid-based urban model, characterized by straight streets and orderly blocks arranged around a central plaza.
Today, it is an important meeting place for residents and visitors, as well as a setting for official ceremonies, cultural activities, religious processions, parades, and public celebrations.
Francisco Pizarro led the Spanish founding ceremony of Lima on January 18, 1535, in the area now occupied by Plaza Mayor. After the ceremony, plots of land were assigned to the authorities, the church, and the first Spanish residents.
From that time onward, the plaza became the political, administrative, commercial, and religious center of the city.
During the Viceroyalty, the plaza was the main setting for public life in Lima: markets, ceremonies, celebrations, and other official events were held there.
The plaza’s current fountain was inaugurated in 1651 and replaced an earlier fountain installed in the 16th century. It is advisable to confirm the authorship of each of these works in a historical source.
At the top stands an allegorical figure traditionally known as Fame. Although the fountain has undergone conservation work, it retains much of its historic structure and is one of the oldest elements of the urban complex.
The plaza and its buildings have changed considerably because of earthquakes, fires, and urban modernization projects. The earthquakes of 1586, 1687, and especially 1746 caused major damage in central Lima.
After the earthquakes, several buildings were reconstructed using materials and techniques commonly employed in Lima, such as adobe, brick, and quincha, a traditional system of cane and mud that is more flexible during earthquakes. For this reason, most of the buildings that now surround the plaza do not date entirely from the 16th century.
The plaza’s current appearance is largely the result of urban projects carried out during the 20th century, including a design selected through a competition in 1939. The winning project was created by architects Emilio Harth-Terré and José Álvarez Calderón.
On July 28, 1821, José de San Martín proclaimed Peru’s independence in Plaza Mayor before authorities, troops, and residents of Lima. He also made proclamations in other parts of the city, but the ceremony in Plaza Mayor was the main and most remembered one.
The Act of Independence had been approved and signed several days earlier, on July 15, 1821, at Lima’s city council.
The Historic Center of Lima was inscribed on the UNESCO World Heritage List in 1988. In 1991, its boundaries were significantly expanded to include a larger urban area around Plaza Mayor and other monuments.
The plaza is located in the district of Lima, also known as Cercado de Lima, within the capital’s historic center.
It is bordered by Junín, de la Unión, Huallaga, and Carabaya streets. The surrounding area includes pedestrian streets, controlled access points, and roads with restrictions on vehicle traffic.
The central fountain, inaugurated in 1651, is the plaza’s main decorative feature. It consists of a decorated base, several levels, and an allegorical figure at the top.
From the area around the fountain, you can take photographs that include Lima Cathedral, the Government Palace, and the plaza’s gardens in the same view.
The Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of Lima occupies one side of the plaza. The plot for the church was assigned during the founding of the city, but the first construction record dates from 1540. In 1541, it was elevated to cathedral status.
Its present appearance is the result of several construction and restoration projects. It features Renaissance, Baroque, Neoclassical, and Neo-Colonial elements. Inside are chapels, 17th-century choir stalls, an archbishop’s crypt, and the funerary space containing the remains attributed to Francisco Pizarro.
The Cathedral also houses the Museum of Religious Art, with paintings, sculptures, liturgical objects, and works from different Peruvian artistic schools.
The Church or Chapel of El Sagrario is located next to the Cathedral and forms part of the plaza’s religious complex. Together, the Cathedral, the Church of El Sagrario, and the Archbishop’s Palace form one of the most representative architectural groups in Plaza Mayor.
Because it is a religious space, access may vary during Masses, liturgical celebrations, and religious festivities.
The Government Palace stands on the plot assigned to Francisco Pizarro after the founding of Lima. Over the centuries, it served as the residence of governors, viceroys, and presidents of the Republic.
The present building is the result of multiple reconstructions and renovations. It is also known as the Government House or House of Pizarro. The palace contains official rooms such as the Golden Hall, the Grand Hall, and the Peace Hall, although visits depend on authorization and official activities.
Tourist admission is not permanently available. In-person visits must be arranged in advance with the Presidential Office and may be suspended because of official activities or security measures.
The Archbishop’s Palace is the historic seat of the Archdiocese of Lima. The current building was inaugurated on December 8, 1924, during the government of Augusto B. Leguía.
The Archbishop’s Palace may host temporary exhibitions. Before visiting, it is advisable to check its current schedule and opening hours.
The Municipal Palace is the headquarters of the Metropolitan Municipality of Lima. Lima’s city council was established a few days after the founding of the city, on January 22, 1535.
The current building was inaugurated in 1944. Its façade features a Neo-Colonial design, while different interior rooms show Renaissance and French influences. Inside are the Council Chamber, the Hall of Heroes, the Hall of Mayors, and the Municipal Library.
Casa del Oidor is one of the most recognizable civil buildings in the area because of its wooden corner balcony. It is an example of the domestic and administrative architecture developed in the historic center.
Although it is usually viewed only from the outside, it complements the historical interpretation of the plaza together with the palaces and religious buildings. Its wooden corner balcony is one of the most photographed details in the plaza.
The Club de la Unión occupies another of the monumental buildings surrounding the plaza. It is a private institution, so it does not regularly operate as a museum or public attraction.
Its building contributes to the plaza’s Neo-Colonial architectural ensemble and appears in several heritage and municipal records of the area.
Opening hours may change because of religious ceremonies, official activities, conservation work, or security measures. It is advisable to verify them before visiting.
Plaza de Armas:
From the Metropolitano
From the Jirón de la Unión Metropolitano station, the plaza is about a five-minute walk away. Exit onto Jirón de la Unión and continue toward the historic center. According to Mincetur’s tourism inventory, the walk takes approximately five minutes.
From Plaza San Martín
You can walk along Jirón de la Unión. The approximate distance is 700 meters, and the walk takes about ten minutes.
From Alameda Chabuca Granda
The promenade is approximately 200 meters away, so the walk can be completed in about three minutes.
Visit the plaza preferably during the day or in the early afternoon. This will allow you to better appreciate the façades, balconies, and architectural details.
Bring an identity document if you plan to enter an institutional building. During official ceremonies, security checkpoints may be installed and some access points may be closed.
Keep an eye on your personal belongings in busy streets, use authorized transportation, and avoid unnecessarily displaying expensive equipment.
To enter the Cathedral, El Sagrario, or other churches, wear appropriate clothing and avoid interrupting Masses or religious celebrations.
The plaza has ramps and accessibility improvements at different crossings around its perimeter, although some historic buildings may have limitations inside.
Are Plaza Mayor and Plaza de Armas the same place?
Yes. Both names are used to refer to the main historic space in central Lima. “Plaza Mayor” emphasizes its status as the city’s main plaza, while “Plaza de Armas” is associated with its civic and military functions.
Is admission free?
Access to the plaza is free. The Cathedral, museums, and some historic buildings may charge admission or require advance reservations.
Can it be visited at night?
Mincetur’s tourism record lists the plaza as open until 10:00 p.m. However, the buildings around it close earlier, and some access points may be restricted for security reasons.
What time is the changing of the guard?
A permanent and updated official schedule could not be verified. The ceremony depends on the Government Palace agenda and may be changed or suspended.
The changing of the guard schedule may vary or be canceled because of official activities. Check information from the Government Palace in advance before planning your visit.
Was the plaza declared a World Heritage Site?
The designation does not apply to the plaza alone. The plaza forms part of the Historic Center of Lima, which was inscribed by UNESCO in 1988 and expanded in 1991.
Are drones allowed?
No. The official tourism inventory expressly states that drone use is prohibited in the plaza.
What is the best route for continuing the visit?
A simple route connects Plaza Mayor with Jirón de la Unión and Plaza San Martín. Another option leads toward the Convent of Santo Domingo, the Church of San Francisco, Parque de la Muralla, and Alameda Chabuca Granda.

Happy passengers