It is located in Plaza de Armas of Cusco City.
Compania de Jesus Church is one of the most beautiful churches of Cusco. The finishing in its Baroque style is the closest to perfection.
The first foundation of the church took place on July 17, 1571, from the order of Viceroy Francisco de Toledo, on the initiative of the Provinical Father Jeronimo Ruiz de Portillo. In this work the same church builders were involved, including Father Juan Ruiz Architect.
In 1619, the Jesuit Congregation begins the construction of College of San Bernardo, achieving completion of the building, whose main feature was a gable roof with cedar armor, brought from Amaybamba. In 1651, the work on The Chapel of Our Lady of Loreto (also called of Indians) begins; this work was completed in 3 years. In 1654, the construction works on the Compañia de Jesus Church began, work that was completed in 17 years, with the participation of many architects and bricklayers.
This church was built on the foundations of Amaru Kancha Temple (The House of the Great Snake), that was the palace of the Inca Huayna Capac, the father of Ahuascar and Atahualpa. The chroniclers describe Amaru Kancha as a beautiful place, typical for the Incas. By the door there was a pond and a big garden.
The Church Compañia de Jesus in its interior has a single nave where there is an imposing main altar carved with a hybrid style in cedar and completely decorated with golden leaves. It measures 21 meters high by 12 wide and in the central portion of the altar there is the image of the Virgin of the Immaculate Conception, above a canvas depicting the Transfiguration of Christ. The main nave also has a transept that communicates with the two side chapels, 6 altars with different styles and an entirely gilded pulpit; towards the sides of the high altar, there are other 4 altars of cedar, 3 of them golden and quite ostentatious.
It is worth mentioning the canvas that portray the life of the founder of the Order, San Ignacio de Loyola, painted by Marcos Zapata and his helper, Cipriano Gutierrez.
Schedule: Monday to Saturday: 08:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Sundays: 09:00 a.m. to 10:30a .m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Cost: Admission Ticket with Religious Circuit, or just to this monument with the following amounts: Partial Adult: S/. 10.00 Student Part: S/. 5.00