Formerly, it was the school of the Incas, built almost two centuries ago. It highlights the art of the ancient cultures of the country.
It was formerly the "Amaru Cata" or "House of Knowledge", the school of the Incas, built almost two centuries ago. In 1550 the Spanish conquistadors, skilled at superimposing their culture and religion on top of the foundations of others, turned it into a religious retreat house and later into the Monastery of Santa Clara. In the 17th century it was acquired by Luis Jerónimo Cabrera, whose surname has remained on the property to this day.
This historic monument was acquired in 1981 by Banco Continental. Revived and refurbished in its 2000 square meters by the BBVA Foundation, the Casa Cabrera became the Museum of Pre-Columbian Art of Cusco, the first and only Peruvian museum dedicated to highlighting the art of the ancient cultures of the country.
The museum exhibits in an orderly and evolutionary way: a Wood Hall, a Nazca, a Mochica, a Huari, a Chimu, an Inca, a Viceroyalty and also the Gold Hall and the Silver Hall.
The 403 works of art span from 1250 B.C. to 1532 A.D. and were selected from a universe of 45,000 objects belonging to the Rafael Larco Herrera Archaeological Museum in Lima. The museography and lighting are spectacular as they highlight the beauty of the painting, sculpture and ceramics of Peruvian prehistory in the 11 rooms of the museum.
Hours of operation: Monday to Sunday from 9:00-22:00 hrs.
Cost: General admission S/ 20.00 - Students S/ 10.00