The enigmatic Inca citadel of Machu Picchu is one of the favorite destinations for national and international students who long to know this amazing place in person. The Peruvian government gives discounts for students to purchase of admission tickets or tickets, in order to encourage knowledge of the Incas' historical legacy to new generations.
What is the Machu Picchu ticket for students?
The Machu Picchu ticket for students is the official document issued by the agency in charge of the care of the Archaeological Park of Machu Picchu, the INC or National Institute of Culture of Peru, which allows you to enter and visit the Inca citadel. There are basically three types of Machu Picchu tickets:
The first allows you to tour the citadel, known with the Quechua name of ‘Llaqta’ which are the main buildings of Machu Picchu, among which are the streets, squares, walls, viewpoints, temples and more. This entrance ticket to the "Llaqta" has three circuits to explore:
- Circuit N° 1 is the one with the most extensive route, visiting almost all the important points of the Inca or Llaqta citadel, with an approximate duration of two to three hours, is designed for travelers in good physical condition.
- The circuit N° 2 allows you to explore the best known and tourist places of the citadel, having an average duration of two hours. You must be in an average physical condition for this circuit.
- Circuit N° 3 is the shortest, it allows to know the least elevated points and with easier access of the Llaqta. It was designed for older people or people with some kind of physical disability in mind.
The second type of Machu Picchu ticket for students allows to know the Inca citadel 'Llaqta' and also the Huayna Picchu mountain, which is the mountain that appears in almost all the photos of Machu Picchu. The ascent route to the Huayna Picchu mountain is approximately two hours, through a very narrow path and with abysses of more than 400 meters on the sides. It is one of the most popular places of the Archaeological Park of Machu Picchu and for this reason, you must buy the entrance tickets to Huayna Picchu for students at least three months in advance, because the tickets for this mountain are normally sold out.
The minimum age limit to enter this mountain is 12 years old and it must be taken into account, because at certain points along the way there are steps that could be very dangerous for children, taking into account that a fall or slip would have deadly consequences.
The third type of Machu Picchu ticket for students combines the entrance to the ‘Llaqta’ citadel as well as the route or climb to the so-called Machu Picchu Mountain, which is located behind the archaeological site. The ascent to the top of Machu Picchu mountain takes approximately four hours, the journey is through a wide but steep stone path. Good physical condition is required.
How can you buy a student Machu Picchu ticket?
The first requirement to buy a Machu Picchu ticket for students is not to be over 25 years of age at the time of the trip.
The second requirement is to have a student card no more than one year old and valid at the time of purchase
What type of student card is valid?
It is important to specify that the rules of entry to the citadel of Machu Picchu have changed in recent years because there have been many cases of unscrupulous people who have sought to obtain the benefit of the student discount by presenting false or adulterated documentation, generating many problems at the time of entry and registration of visitors to the Inca complex.
Previously, the international student card known as ‘ISIC’ could be presented, but due to adulterations and forgeries this is no longer allowed.
The following considerations and precautions should be taken into account to know if the university card you have is valid or not to acquire a student price ticket:
- The first requirement is that the card has been issued by the university where you are currently a student, either a university in Peru or abroad.
- The second requirement is that the card must be valid at the time of purchase, that is, it must not be more than one year old and this period must also include the days of the visit to Machu Picchu. The effective date of the university card MUST be registered in the document, otherwise it will be considered invalid.
- The material of the document must be PVC plastic, in which the names, surnames and photo of the student must be consigned, as well as the name of the University.
- Certificates of studies, student notebook, student certificates or any other document other than the plasticized university card are not accepted as valid documents.
- If the presented university card meets all these requirements, it will be considered valid, in case of not complying with any of these requirements, you will not be able to access the obain discount.
Where can I buy a Machu Picchu ticket for students?
The purchase of the Machu Picchu ticket for students must be done in person at the INC offices, located on Garcilazo Street S/N - Regional Historical Museum, on Maruri 340 street in the center of Cusco, and in the Cultural Center of the Aguas Calientes town. The reservation of tickets to Machu Picchu for students through the Internet is not available due to problems with the falsification of documents.
At the time of purchase, the current university card in physical form and the national identity document (DNI) for Peruvian students or the passport for foreign students must be presented.
What documents should I take with me to enter Machu Picchu?
To enter the archaeological site of Machu Picchu, you must carry with you the entrance ticket to Machu Picchu for students, your university card and your national identity card or passport.
An important fact to consider is that the INC considers as schoolchildren all those under 18, that is to say they áy a different price when entering Machu Picchu.