“Machu Picchu Mountain” is situated at 3061masl. This mountain offers its visitors one of the best panoramic views of Machu Picchu citadel.
“Machu picchu Mountain” is situated in front of Wayna Picchu Mountain”, is situated at 3061 m.a.s.l. In order to climb “Machu Picchu Mountain”, you first need to reach Machu Picchu Citadel,you have to head to the checkpoint through Circuit Nº 1 (the most complete circuit) that leads directly to the entrance control at “Machu Picchu Mountain”. To reach the top, it is necessary to walk approximately 2 km that will take you 3 and half to 4 hours, depending on your physical condition and experience walking
"Machu Picchu Mountain" Mountain is situated at 3061masl. This mountain offers its visitors one of the best panoramic views of Machu Picchu citadel and of Vilcanota (or Wilcamayu) river whose waters, despite the distance, you can listen to hitting the rocks. The trail to Machu Picchu Mountain is ascending through steps made of stone and well-established paths. The walk is not really dangerous, nor difficult to perform, but it will require all your strength. During the walk, you can observe how the citadel of Machu Picchu and Huayna Picchu will remain lower and lower; moreover, you can contemplate the exuberant vegetation, where the famous orchids stand out (there are more than 425 species of orchids in Machu Picchu). The amazing view from the top of this mountain and its colorful path make it the perfect option for adventurers and lovers of nature, moreover it is the best alternative if you cannot climb the other mountain, Wayna Picchu, whether for lack of space availability or physical difficulties.
“Machu Picchu Mountain” Mountain must have been a path used a lot by the Incas, especially for military purposes, since you have a 360 degrees view of the whole valley, which allows emitting an early warning before any threat of invasion of another adjoining culture. Because of its location, it could also be used for astronomical purposes, to study the cosmos. Actually, it is an important alternative of travel in the archeological park of Machu Picchu and receives hundreds of visitors each day. Machu Picchu Mountain has easier access than Wayna Picchu. The trail is wider and 400 spaces are offered per day in 2 available shifts. From 7a.m. to 8a.m. (200 spaces) and from 9a.m. to 10a.m. (200 spaces).
The entrance hours to "Machu Picchu Mountain" are the following:
- The First Group: Machu Picchu - Machu Picchu Mountain 7:00a.m. - 8:00a.m.
- The Second Group: Machu Picchu -Machu Picchu Mountain 09:00a.m. - 10:00a.m.
Remember that the maximum capacity for Machu Picchu Mountain is of 400 persons per day, divided in 2 groups of 200 each WE RECOMMEND YOU BOOK IN ADVANCE, AT LEAST 1 MONTH BEFORE.
RATES "MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN" 2019
|foreign tourists||Andean Community Tourists
(Colombia, Bolivia, Ecuador)
|Ticket Type td>||Adults||Student||School||Adults||Student||School|
|Machu Picchu + Machu Picchu Mountain||S/ 200.00||S/ 125.00||S/ 118.00||S/ 112.00||S/ 80.00||S/ 80.00|
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO VISIT MACHU PICCHU MOUNTAIN
- The entry ticket to Machu Picchu Mountain also allows the touristic visit to the citadel of Machu Picchu through one of the 3 established circuits, access to the alternate route of the Machu Picchu Mountain in the schedule printed on top of your ticket.
- The entry of the first shift (200 persons) is between 7:00-8:00a.m., while the entry for the second shift (200 visitors) is between 9:00 and 10:00a.m.
- The route starts from the entrance control to the llaqta (citadel) through circuit number 1 that leads directly to the checkpoint of Machu Picchu Mountain. The visitor must carry his/her ticket, identity card and register manually in the log notebook both upon entering and upon exiting.
- The top of Machu Picchu Mountain is at 3061masl, from where you can have an impressive view of Machu Picchu citadel and Vilcanota river that surrounds it
- The travel time of this alternative route is of approximately 4 hours, it can vary depending on the walking rhythm
- The total time for the alternative route tour and one of the llaqta (citadel of Machu Picchu) circuits is of 6 hours. A re-entry is allowed with the purpose of using the hygienic services that can only be found outside the archeological complex.
- Do not bring any luggage, just a small backpack with all that is necessary
- Don´t forget to bring water, cereals, chocolate, and if you suffer from altitude sickness- coca leaves- they will give you strength to continue.
- Use trekking shoes, the type that doesn´t slip and water-resistant.
- Wear waterproof clothing and preferably cover your arms and legs, since the radiation is very strong.
- Use sunglasses
- Use mosquito repellant
- Use sunscreen, preferably of 90+ factor
- Bring well-charged cameras, with extra memory, you´ll have plenty to photograph
- Generally, there are no guided visits to Machu Picchu Mountain, follow all directions, respect all signs on the road and try to walk in a group.
- If you suffer from vertigo, or you have any cardiac or respiratory illness, we recommend you to not make the visit to “Machu Picchu Mountain”
La "Machu Picchu Mountain" is not a very steep way, it is entertaining, but you will need all your energy. We will share with you this video about travelling to Machu Picchu Mountain: