It’s located south-west of Cusco, in the front of the San Pedro Market, around 700 meters from Cusco Cathedral.
The San Pedro Church is one of the most beautiful Baroque-style art expressions, that Cusco has; in spite of the fact that the devastating earthquake of 1650 destroyed the first building, the church preserves its beauty.
Between 1688 and 1699, the construction of the current temple was carried out by architect Juan Tomas Tuyru Tupac Inca. The financing was paid by the Bishopric, the clergy and the council. The San Pedro Church possesses a single nave and was built entirely in stone. It has a Baroque and golden altar; in front lies the tabernacle and there are racks made of silver. Its architecture is of perfect Baroque style and a floor of great solemnity; all dark stone is linked with white mortar. The façade is traditional Cusco style and is inspired by the nearby cathedral´s shape; the church towers have loopholes and vents, each one joining in 4 lanterns and a capital.
The San Pedro Temple was declared Cultural Patrimony of the Nation on 28th of December 1972, granted by the National Institute of Culture, currently the Ministry of Culture of Peru. The Church of San Pedro was built under the direction of Juan Tomas Tuyru Tupac Inca, a descendent of the Inca nobility, one of the best native artists that Cusco had; among his works there was the famous “Pulpit of San Blas Church”.
The Church of San Pedro was erected on the old grounds of “Hospital de Naturales”, created specifically for the natives, which is why some traditionalists know this church as the “Parish of the Natives´ Hospital”.
Its altarpiece is remarkable, of 4 bodies and 3 blocks, with 18 Solomonic columns, having as coronation of its tabernacle (made of silver) a Paschal lamb on the Book of the Seven Seals.
Among the most famous of San Pedro are the portraits of the founders of the temple. The first canvas depicts the Bishop Mollinedo in advanced age, and the upper part shows the coat of arms. Also among the images, the Candelaria or “Purified Virgin” stands out. Other highlights are: the image of the Dolorosa, San Pedro, San Pedro Nolasco, San Juan and the Lord of the Holy Sepulchre.
Visits are during Mass times. The Mass hours are the following: Monday-Saturday: 7:00a.m.-6:00p.m. Sundays: 6:15a.m., 7:30a.m., 10:00a.m. and 6:00p.m. – FREE ENTRY