The Plaza de Armas is located in the historic center of Arequipa, and the surrounding area are Arequipa Cathedral, Arequipa famous portals and exactly in the center of the square, is one that takes bronze fountain sculpture of a Pixie carrying a trumpet.
When the city was founded on August 15, 1540 in the Chili River valley as "Villa de la Asunción de Nuestra Señora del Valle Hermoso de Arequipa" the city was begun and with it the square.
Surrounded by the Cathedral and various portals, the Plaza de Armas has a beautiful bronze fountain of three plates crowned with the figure of a soldier of the sixteenth century. A character that is called the "Tuturutu", which the story was in charge of warning of any new event.
The Plaza de Armas of Arequipa has three big portals that previously where town hall of Arequipa functioned in the colonial era and from the Republican era does the municipality of Arequipa. The portals have a Neo-Renaissance architecture and are made of granite.
In the center of the square, there is a bronze fountain with a sculpture made of copper of a pixie with a trumpet, it is said that he once had wings, but over the years he lost, this sculpture is called Tuturutu. There is a myth that depicts a soldier of XVI century. The source closest to the character at hand is the priest and historian Ventura Travada and Cordova, who in his book: "The floor of Arequipa become Heaven" tells us about it: "corónala (referring to the stack) an angel for fame , by whose mouth water rises in a high tuft"
Access to this place is totally free.