The feast of Corpus Christi is held between the months of May and June, the date is movable.
Each church of Cusco carries their patron saint (Fifteen saints and virgins) to the beat of the troupes of dancers and crews.
The night of the concentration becomes a vigil in which the dish that is served in this festival is the "chiriuchu" dish made from guinea pig and chicken, also shared the vigil with beer, chicha and cornbread.
The procession on the main day takes place around 11:00 am The Plaza de Armas. It is full of people who come to see the procession of the five virgins as La Virgen de la Almudena, La Virgen de Belén, La Linda, Santa Barbara, Immaculate Virgin, adorned with an impressive array of jewels and luxurious brocades and the saints San Sebastian, San Cristóbal, San Geronimo, San Blas, St. Joseph and St. James on his beautiful white horse.
The starting order for the procession is as follows:
1. San Antonio from the parish of San Cristobal
2. San Jerónimo from the parish of San Jerónimo distrit
3. San Cristóbal from the parish of San Cristóbal
4. San Sebastián from the parish of San Sebastián distrit
5. Santa Bárbara from the parish of Poroy
6. Santa Ana from the parish of Santa Ana
7. Santiago Apóstol from the parish of Santiago
8. San Blas from the parish of San Blas
9. San Pedro from the parish of San Pedro
10. San José from the parish of Belén
11. Virgen de la Natividad from the parish of Almudena
12. Virgen de los Remedios from the parish ofSanta Catalina
13. Virgen Purificada from the parish of San Pedro
14. Virgen de Belén from the parish of Belén
15. Virgen de la Inmaculada Concepción sldo called "La Linda" of Cathedral
After the procession, the saints return to the cathedral to salute and after seven days (the eighth), the saints participate in a procession again before returning to their home temples where they will the rest of the year, they take a walk through the streets of Cusco in the middle of songs and prayers. For the tourist is an excellent opportunity to experience the traditional Peruvian culture closely.
When the Spanish arrived in Cusco, were shocked to learn that the children of the Sun were taken out in procession as mummies of the Incas, then, brandishing the Gospels, decided to end forever with the pagan festival.
The missionaries who had arrived with the conquistadors had an idea to replace the venerable remains by images of the Virgin and the Catholic saints. Thus was born the Corpus Christi in Cusco, a Catholic celebration that permeated Andean nuances.
A summary of necessary information for the traveler: Exchange, schedules, reference prices and much more.
Choose tours where you can appreciate breathtaking landscapes and vestiges of ancient cultures.
hotels & lodgings
Find accommodation for your stay in Cusco, from facilities in rural areas to five star hotels.