According to recent researches, this complex is one thousand hectares big because besides the gigantic wall that protects the park, there are some constructions as aqueducts, underground tombs and pre-inca enclosures. This complex was built in different periods. One of the sectors was built during Inca Wiracocha rule, according to the chronicler Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. Later, another stage was built between 1439 and 1471 during Pachacutec rule and finally, the third stage was built by Inca Tupac Yupanqui between 1471 and 1493, according to Cieza de León.
Archeologists have divided it into 5 main sectors and an artificial water storage deposit across from the temple and a wall that surrounds all complex, they are:
According to chroniclers, this place of Wiracocha god was attacked by the Canas Indians. As punishment, the divinity made rain fire, "Being the stones consumed by fire, according to Pedro Cieza de León". There are discrepancies about who had it built however. Cieza says that Pachacuetc had "the grand houses" built that are in Cacha, while Carcilaso says that Wiracocha had it built whom was told by the god (with the same name).
The major Inca temple
It is a unique construction among the Inca architecture. It is a grand barn with rectangular base of 92 meters long and 25m wide. It has an enormous central wall (almost 12m tall). The base of the wall was 3m tall made of finely carved stones and adobe finish. The temple had communication doors with columns that supported a gable roof which was also on 11 cylindrical columns on every side so as on the edification side walls. Only one of the 22 columns is still conserved now. Only the bases of the side walls exist now that cdan be seen now after digging works by the Spanish mission in the late 60s.
Many centuries after the visit of Cieza to Racchi at the same time that diggings were being made in Cusco, they found a stone head and the representation of a body made of the same material. Manuel Ballesteros and other experts say that these would be the remains of Wiracocha statue which was taken some time to Cusco, destroyed and buried as part of the policy of idols extirpation. The head is now being conserved in the America museum in Madrid and the body is in Inca museum in Cusco.
Another sector that is important due to its architecture quality is the enclosures or barracks one. It covers a total of 22 houses that are highlighted by their fractured walls with abundant trapezoidal niches and by its distribution. 12 of these houses are lined up into pairs along almost 250 meters. This group of edifications is distributed along a series of patios almost square shaped. The one that faces the esplanade known as Pucllanapampa (in Quechua it means game place) is free, while the other three are distributed into 6 enclosures, two on each side.
They are located by the enclosures and are separated by small rectangular corps fields. They are impressive due to its quantity about 120 and 200 according to different researchers and due to their distribution in double line that follows the same temple axis. They are circular buildings. Some of these colcas have been reconstructed by archeologists expeditions that worked on the area which gives us a better idea of what it looked like originally. Despite its lack of conservancy it is impressive itself.
The Inca bath and Usno
After translating these words it would be: "where the monkey climbs". It is a succession of seats carved on diorite stone with a deep esthetic sense on the eastern side of the slope.
Visit from 7:00 to 18:00.
Fee Adult: S/6.00 Student: S/3.00.