San Pedro Church and Convent
Located on the corner of Ucayali and Azángaro St.
The church of San Pedro was built by the Jesuits in the sixteenth century, it has become, for the beauty of its architectural and its valuable iconography, one of the pillars of Peruvian cultural heritage. Similarly, as Parish, San Pedro has also become an important center of spirituality for Lima. Until there, dozens of people daily go in search of a space for reflection and enrichment of his faith.
"The facade is very majestic, carved stone and the border lyrics that say" Supernal Invocatum est." On the 3 covers are 3 windows that serve both the proportion and the clarity, whose sides rise two towers, in one of them got 7 bells. It has a small square in front of the cemetery that is authorized and where the floats were accommodated.
It is approximately 67 m. long and 35 m. wide to the cruise, which is beautiful and big, 10 chapels, 5 band which communicate by beautiful arches. The high altar and side altars (but the "San Ignacio" and" Relics";) are golden.
In the Church of San Pedro we can find the following styles: Renaissance, Plateresco, Baroque and Neoclassical Churrigueresco.
The gallery of San Pedro was made of a large number of paintings that the Jesuit community has been conservin over the centuries.
Altar pieces and images
Headquartered in Lima was precisely the Colegio Maximo de San Pablo, San Pedro today. Very quickly, they built three successive temples, always in search of more space for worship and magnificence. The third one has survived the, built between 1634 and 1636 by a clever adaptation of the planes of the Gesu in Rome, managed to lift this spacious hall church. It was a peculiar evolution toward the basilica they were taking large orders established in Lima. Unlike the Roman prototype large nave and side closed chapels, San Pedro de Lima closes the central area, while the chapels are open and communicate with each other by means of arcs. And two naves were set adjacent, serving for moving processional parades or other liturgical ceremonies.
The Penitentiary Chapel, with its three naves harmoniously designed, stands on the foundation of what was the second church. Its construction was the work of Italian P. Jerome Pallas (SJ., Rector of St. Paul's College). Completed in 1659, it has access to the main church, but its entrance was always the gate. This Church was destined to penitentiary exercise. Generally, only men allowed to enter. Here various meetings were held by congregations established in San Pedro, as the famous Christ School Father Alonso Messio Bedoya, the congregation of students from the faculty, the waiters, merchants and craftsofficials, etc.
Chapel of the O
Marian Sodality of Nuestra señora de la Expectación, known as Our Lady of O, originally had their meetings on the second Church (now the Prison). Over time, being Director of this grou Father Juan de Córdova, the congregation decided to build its own chapel, which is now known as the Chapel of O.
From 10:00 to 12:00 hours and 16:00 to 19:00 hours.
A summary of necessary information for the traveler: Exchange, schedules, reference prices and much more.
Choose tours where you can appreciate breathtaking landscapes and vestiges of ancient cultures.
hotels & lodgings
Find accommodation for your stay in Cusco, from facilities in rural areas to five star hotels.