Day 1: Cusco - Mollepata (Marcoccasa) - Soraypampa
We will leave Cusco at 5:00 am and head forwards Marcoccasa (3400m/11154f), passing the village Mollepata (3000m/9843f). In Marcoccasa we will meet the horsemen and the rest of the group and start our trek. We start hiking within a magnificent valley, surrounded by the most important snow-capped mountains such as the Humantay (5217m/17116f) and the Salkantay (6264m/20551f). Our campsite will be at Soraypampa (3700m/12139f).
Transport time: 4 hours
Hiking time: 6 hours<
Day 2: Soraypampa – Salkantay pass - Challway
After breakfast, we will set off towards the Salkantay pass (4600m/15092f) which offers an exceptional view of the snow-capped Salkantay (6264m). Thereafter, we will descend again and will have time to enjoy the increasing vegetation of the ecosystem. Our camp site will be in Challway (3000m/9842f), amidst the tropical forest with warm climate and mosquitoes.
Hiking time: 9 hours
Day 3: Challway – Wiñaypoco – La Playa - Hydroelectric – Aguas Calientes
After an early breakfast, we will descend through a dimmed forest, where the vegetation grows brightly, among this outstanding kindness for instance a great variety of Orchids, Bromeliads, Bomareas and etc. Also we will meet with some families in Wiñaypoco (2650m / 8694f) and La Playa (2100m / 6890f), where we will catch our vehicle riding to Hydroelectric. From there, we’ll continue in the train to Aguas Calientes town, where we will have an overnight in hostel.
Hiking time: 5 hours, during a warm day with mosquitoes and cold in the night.
Transportation time: 1h30, from La Playa to Hydroelectric.
Day 4 Aguas Calientes - MachuPicchu - Cusco
We will leave our hostel after breakfast at 5:30 am and head for Machu picchu (2400m/7874f) by tourist bus. We will arrive at the citadel around 6:00 am. After a guided tour around the archeological site, including information about life and culture of the Incas, you will have enough time to enjoy Machu Picchu and Wayna Picchu (2750m/9022f) on your own. We will leave Aguas Calientes by train either at 2:55 pm or at 6:10 pm. Until then, you will have time to have lunch in one of the nice restaurants. Moreover, you can visit the hot springs in Aguas Calientes to relax a bit.
Hiking time: 02 hours
What do I need to bring?
Backpack with rain shelter, sleeping back, clothing for warm and cold climate like a waterproof jacket, rain trousers and lightweight trousers, trekking shoes, slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs), woolen or synthetic socks, a sweater, long- and short-sleeved polo’s/t-shirts, a rain poncho, a hat, bathing suit (for the hot springs in Aguas Calientes), sunscreen, insect repellent, disinfecting alcohol and gel, water bottle and sterilizing tablets, toiletries and toilet paper, photo camera (wrapped in plastic bag), a flash light and batteries, some snacks like chocolate bars and dry fruit, original passport, original ISIC student card and extra money in soles.
Note: Since the weather can be very cold and misty, your clothes - once gotten wet - won’t dry at night. So take some clothes to change.
Salkantay & Machu Picchu 04 Days (Group Departure)
Min 02 pax
• Private transport from the hotel to the village of Mollepata (Marcoccasa).
• Bus, from Aguas Calientes to Machu picchu (1 way).
• Tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Cusco or tourist train from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo and bus to Cusco.
• Hostel in Aguas Calientes (Machupicchu, Continental or similar).
• Entrance fees to Machu Picchu.
• Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
• High quality camping equipment (We use professional tents, Doite, Model Kailas 3, extra light/4.5kgs and Doite, Model Himalaya, extra light/4.5kgs, both large enough for two people. Mattresses, eating tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent).
• Meals during the excursion (Breakfast, lunch, dinner and tea time/Option vegetarian).
• Cook and assistant.
• Horsemen and mules.
• Emergency horse.
• First-aid kit and oxygen bottle
• Train from the Hydroelectric station to Aguas Calientes – Bus to aguas cañientes – Mapi U$ 10.00 x person.
• Lunch in Aguas Calientes on the 4th day.
• Sleeping bag (if you don`t have a sleeping bag, there is the possibility of renting one which is $ 20.00 for the whole trip).
Note: From the first to the third day (from Marcoccasa to La Playa) we are accompanied by horsemen and mules that will carry all camping equipment and the customer’s private luggage (up to 7 kg). On the third day all luggage will be transferred to the hydroelectric station by car.