Day 1:Cusco - Sacred Valley to Aguas Calientes
Early morning we pick you up from your hotel and drive to the train station to board the train that will take us to km.104 on the Cusco - MachuPicchu railroad (starting point of the hike), where we arrive at around 10:00 am. We start visiting the Chachabamba archaeological complex (2150m/7052ft), located very close to the control point, to then embark upon an 8 km (5 miles) ascending trail, which after four hours takes us to the archaeological complex of Wiñaywayna (2650m/8692ft). This is an impressive complex made up of an agricultural center with numerous terraces, a religious sector and an urban sector. On the way up we may enjoy magnificent views of the Urubamba River valley and the Choquesuysuy archaeological complex located on the other side of the river, and also of a beautiful waterfall located just a few minutes away from Wiñaywayna. We then continue and climb to Intipunku, or The Sun Gate. This will take an hour of hiking along a trail of flat stones on the edges of cliffs in highland jungle. From this fabulous spot, we may contemplate the sacred citadel of MachuPicchu. From Intipunku we descend to MachuPicchu and then by bus to Aguas Calientes. We are then accommodated at the selected hotel/hostel.
Total distance: 13 km (8,08 miles)
Estimated time: 6-7 hours
Maximum altitude point: 2,650 m (8,692 ft)
Campsite altitude: 2,400 m (7,872 ft)
Day 2:Aguas Calientes - Cusco / Sacred Valley
We wake up early and board a bus to MachuPicchu where we begin a complete guided tour of the Inca citadel that will take approximately two hours. You will then have free time to walk around, climb up the Huaynapicchu Mountain, where one can experience spectacular views of all of MachuPicchu, the valleys and mountains that surround it (please note that there are only 400 visitors allowed per day), or visit the Temple of the Moon or the impressive Inca Bridge. In the afternoon, we meet in the town of Aguas Calientes where, if you like, you can visit and relax in its hot springs. From here we take the train back to Cusco or the Sacred Valley, where we arrive after nightfall.
* Departure and arrival times are approximated.
- Pre-departure briefing
- Collection from your hotel in the morning and transfer to San Pedro train station in Cusco
- Inca Trail and MachuPicchu entrance fee
- Professional tour guide (spanish and english)
- Meals 01L (box-lunch). Vegetarian or special menus are available at no extra cost
- First-aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Bus ticket from MachuPicchu ruins down to the village of Aguas Calientes - 1st day
- Round trip bus ticket Aguas Calientes - MachuPicchu - Aguas Calientes - 2nd day
- Train ticket from Cusco / Sacred Valley to Km104 and from Aguas Calientes to Cusco/Sacred Valley (Backpacker, Vistadome, First Class or Hiram Bingham service, upon request) (*)
- Transfer train station - hotel in Cusco
- 24-h guest service: please ask for the emergency number available during your time of visit
(*) Should there be no train tickets available in the direct route Cusco - km.104 and / or Aguas Calientes - Cusco, a train ticket Sacred Valley - km.104 and / or Aguas Calientes - Sacred Valley will be provided, with an additional private transportation from your hotel in Cusco to the Sacred Valley and / or viceversa.
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes or MachuPicchu
- Lunch and dinner on the last day: after the guided tour at MachuPicchu, you can enjoy free time to further visit the ruins and choose to have lunch either in MachuPicchu or in Aguas Calientes at your own expense. Arrival in Cusco is estimated after nightfall, dinner being at your own expense too
- Visit to the hot springs in Aguas Calientes: a relaxing way to end-up the trek, only 10 minutes from the village center, entrance fee is s/10.00 (Peruvian Soles). Towels can be hired in Aguas Calientes
- Huayna Picchu entrance fee, if you would like to climb this mountain you have to pay for a new entrance fee (S/.152.00 Peruvian nuevos soles)
- Tips: please note that our agency staff is well paid so please feel free to tip or not as you wish
- IGV Tax
- Other services not mentioned in the program